Meat and Poultry Industry News

Taco Bell talks ground beef and that mystery 12%

April 30, 2014
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+

Taco Bell has updated the FAQ section of its website to discuss in detail exactly what goes into its ground beef. After telling its customers that its taco meat is 88 percent ground beef, the company is talking about the other 12 percent.

“At Taco Bell, providing you and your friends with delicious food at great value is our #1 priority. We also go to great lengths to be open about the ingredients we use, and want you to know the truth. Our seasoned beef recipe consists of 88% Premium Beef and 12% Signature Recipe,” the company says. The FAQ is available at www.tacobell.com/nutrition/foodfacts/BeefQuality/BeefIngredientFAQ .

The 12 percent of ingredients includes Soy Lecithin, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Maltodextrin and Torula Yeast.

“They do have weird names – perfect for tongue twisters!” the company admits. “But these ingredients are completely safe and approved by the FDA. They're common ingredients also found in food items at your grocery store. Each ingredient helps make our Seasoned Beef taste great. Many of them are items you might use at home such as salt, peppers, and spices. Ingredients like oats and sodium phosphates help make sure the texture is right.”

Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, told ABC News that he sympathizes with people who are surprised these ingredients are food, but he said he has "no patience" with the general argument, "I can't pronounce it, so I won't eat it.

"There's nothing on this list I have a problem eating," he said.

Sources: Taco Bell, ABC News

 

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Podcasts

Brenneman analyzes Butterball’s new animal care, well-being program

Rod Brenneman, CEO of Butterball, discusses his company's new Animal Care and Well-Being Program, his company's certification by the American Humane Association and further animal-handling initiatives, all officially announced in September 2013.

More Podcasts

National Provisioner

f

December 2014

The December issue of NP features a cover story on the GNP Company, an article on animal welfare, the 2015 economic outlook, and so much more!

 

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Independent Processor

f

December 2014

The December issue of IP features cover story: A full Haus, Mike Sloan’s award-winning bratwursts draw visitors to the Hermann Wurst Haus by the thousands.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Provisioner Store

sourcebooksmall.gif
The National Provisioner Source Book

The Sourcebook is an exclusive buyer’s guide and reference tool for product and supplier information in the meat, poultry and seafood marketplace.

More Products

Sourcebook

A complete reference guide to supplies. Go to NP's Sourcebook now to check out the latest and greatest in the meat and poultry processing business.

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook icon Twitter icon  YouTube iconLinkedIn icon google +

Vertical Sector Focus: Critical Infrastructures

criticalhomepagethumbFrom terrorism to vandalism, it’s preparedness, response, training and partnerships. Learn about some of the critical security issues facing this sector.

Visit the Critical Infrastructure page to read more.