Hormel Foods, the makers of the SPAM brand team up with Operation Gratitude and veteran Sunny Anderson to highlight the return of the SPAMERICAN Food Truck Tour.
The Makers of the SPAM brand are taking their gratitude on the road with the return of the popular SPAMERICAN Tour, thanking all of the chefs, fanatic fans and military for 79 years of support. Back for another coast-to-coast culinary journey, this year the brand is partnering with Operation Gratitude to bring their letter writing campaign into 16 communities, and supporting its goal of sending the 2 Millionth Care Package in 2018- by pledging a $1 donation for every letter written in-market and online at SPAM.com. Each letter will be included in a care package, assembled by volunteers, and sent to troops deployed overseas, as well as to new recruits, veterans and first-responders here at home.
Food Network Host and US Air Force veteran Sunny Anderson is once again joining the tour, supporting the Operation Gratitude cause and showcasing her new recipe: Operation SPAM Gravy with Biscuits. Following the launch in New York at the Tribeca Film Festival, the SPAMERICAN truck will stop at military bases and popular community events in San Francisco, Dallas, Nashville, Chicago and more.
“We’re honored to partner with Operation Gratitude for the return of the SPAMERICAN Tour,” said Jennifer L. Nolander, SPAM Brand Manager. “The SPAM brand has a long tradition of supporting our nation’s military at home and abroad beginning with World War II, and we are honored to bring aboard a veteran like Sunny Anderson to help Operation Gratitude achieve its mission by providing an easy way for communities to give back to those who proudly serve us every day.”
“Each year, Operation Gratitude sends over 200,000 Care Packages to our nation’s heroes, and out of all of the items included in these packages, among the most cherished are the hand-written notes and letters,” said Emily Rich, Director of National Development. “By working with the SPAM brand, we have the chance to bring our letter-writing campaign to communities across the country.”
Along the tour, communities will be treated to complimentary, on-trend recipe samples created by local chefs, including the “Father of Southern Cuisine” Dean Fearing, James Beard pastry chef Gale Gand and noted TV chef Chris Kyler. Anderson’s dish will be served across the country alongside other unique dishes, including Cinnamon Crusted SPAM Waffles with Apricot Jam Drizzle, Barbeque SPAM Jalapeno Tacos with Pineapple Salsa and SPAM Bánh mì.
“As a host and passionate foodie who likes to experiment with taste and flavor, I’ve long been a fan of the creative possibilities that come from working with SPAM products. My recipe, Operation SPAM Gravy with Biscuits, was inspired by my southern heritage and military brat roots, and I think it really captures the spirit of this year’s SPAMERICAN Tour,” said Sunny Anderson. “As an Air Force veteran, it means a lot to team up with Operation Gratitude’s mission, offering thousands of people the opportunity to send notes of support and appreciation to the brave men and women who serve our country.”
SPAMERICAN Tour Schedule:
- New York, N.Y. April 23 – Tribeca Film Festival
- San Diego, Calif. April 29- May 3 – Stagecoach Music Festival
- San Francisco, Calif. April 9 – Travis Air Force Base and Daly City Lucky California
- Denver, Colo. May 14 – Big Wonderful
- Dallas, Texas May 19-22 – Wildflower Arts and Music Festival
- San Antonio, Texas – Lackland Air Force Base
- Baton Rouge, La. May 27-29 – Bayou Superfest
- Nashville, Tenn. June 6-12 – Fort Campbell and CMA Festival
- Raleigh, N.C. June 16-18 – Peak City Pig Fest
- Norfolk, Va. June 24-26 – Norfolk Navy and Bayoo Boogaloo Cajun Festival
- Columbus, Ohio July 1-3 – Red, White and Boom
- Indianapolis, Ind. July 6-10 – Three Rivers Festival
- Chicago, Ill. July 15-17 – Windy City Smokeout
- Twin Lakes, Wis. July 21-24 – Country Thunder
- Austin, Minn. July 28-29 – Hormel Foods 125th Anniversary
- Minneapolis, Minn. August 1-8 – Uptown Art Fair
Chef Partnerships and Recipes:
National – Sunny Anderson, Food Network Host and US Air Force Veteran
- Operation SPAM Gravy with Biscuits
San Diego – Alex Carballo, Moto Deli
- Barbeque SPAM Jalapeno Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Denver – Tyler Wiard, Elway’s Cherry Creek
- Crispy SPAM Al Pastor Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa and Pickled Onion Slaw
Dallas – Dean Fearing, The Mansion At Turtle Creek, Fearing’s
- SPAM Corn Dogs
Nashville – Nathan Flynt, Two Sons Kitchen and Market
- SPAM Bánh mì
Norfolk – Chris Kyler, Kyler’s A+ Catering
- Cajun Boudin Balls “SPAM Style”
Chicago – Gale Gand, Spritzbuger
- Cinnamon Crusted SPAM Waffles with Apricot Jam Drizzle
Minneapolis – Russell Klein, Meritage
- SPAM Madame – Hot SPAM Classic & Cheese with a Fried Egg and Mornay Sauce
For more information about the SPAMERICAN Tour schedule and stops, please check out www.SPAM.com/tour, and join in the #SPAMCan conversation at www.facebook.com/spambrand, www.youtube.com/spambrand, www.twitter.com/SPAMbrand or @SPAMBrand on Instragram. For more information about Sunny Anderson’s signature SPAMERICAN dish, check out the full recipe at www.SPAM.com/tour.
Source: Hormel Foods Corp.