Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. roll out turkey burgers
The new line of Charbroiled Turkey Burgers was created in collaboration with the editors of Men’s Health and the creators of the bestselling Eat This, Not That! brand to offer indulgent but better-for-you food “swaps” for some of the chains’ higher-calorie beef burger options. Each of the three Charbroiled Turkey Burgers being offered at both chains has fewer than 500 calories.
“Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s are famous for their big, decadent, sit-down restaurant quality burgers, many of which are made with 100% Black Angus beef,” said Brad Haley, executive vice president of marketing for CKE Restaurants Inc., parent company of Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s. “But more and more customers today are looking for great-tasting burgers that are better for them and/or are available with a beef alternative. So, we teamed up with the creators of Eat This, Not That! to develop a line of delicious - and still indulgent - Charbroiled Turkey Burgers, with toppings like guacamole, sautéed mushrooms or grilled pineapple. Ironically, several of our burgers made the “Not That!” list in the past, so we’re happy to now feature some products worthy of the “Eat This!” side. And, because we use quarter-pound turkey patties and we charbroil them, they are still very filling and taste great.”
To create the burgers, CKE’s menu development team worked hand-in-hand with Matt Goulding co-author of the Eat This, Not That! book series. CKE and Goulding developed the following five burgers to maintain a premium-quality taste that is sure to satisfy even the most discernable beef-lover looking for a lower-calorie option:
* Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s): Features a charbroiled turkey patty, ketchup, mayonnaise, lettuce, red onion, tomato and dill pickle chips.
* Teriyaki Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr.): Features a charbroiled turkey patty, teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, Swiss cheese, red onion, tomato and lettuce.
* Guacamole Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr.): Features a charbroiled turkey patty, freshly prepared guacamole, pepper-Jack cheese, tomato and lettuce.
* Mushroom Swiss Turkey Burger (available at Hardee’s): Features a charbroiled turkey patty, sautéed mushrooms and two slices of Swiss cheese.
* BBQ Ranch Turkey Burger (available at Hardee’s): Features a charbroiled turkey patty, BBQ sauce, red onion, tomato, lettuce and buttermilk ranch sauce.
All Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s Turkey Burgers are served on a toasted wheat bun.
“Menu items from both Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s have often landed on our ‘worst foods’ list because of their high calorie counts,” said David Zinczenko, co-author of the “Eat This, Not That!” series and editor-in-chief of Men’s Health. “So, we were excited to work with them to develop this new line of Charbroiled Turkey Burgers. This opportunity shows our brand’s impact on the fast-food industry and how Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s are doing their part by providing healthier options.”
“We totally buy into the Eat This, Not That! philosophy of making better-for-you food choices that are also still delicious and indulgent because, human nature being what it is, those are the kind of foods people will be more likely to continue to eat time and time again,” Haley continued. “We could have opted to promote carrot sticks and apple slices like some of our competitors but people just don’t buy them. When they want a burger, they want a burger, and now they can get great ones that just happen to be better for them, too. That’s a trade-off that’s easy for anyone to make.”
Source: CKE Restaurants Inc.