Food-safety expert David Theno, 66, dies in snorkeling accident
Food safety expert David Theno died on June 19 in Hawaii after being hit by a large wave while snorkeling with his grandson, according to Food Safety News.
Theno was reknowned for his leadership during the 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli O157:H7 outbreak. In March 1993, he joined Jack in the Box as vice president of quality assurance and product safety and developed a HACCP plan for the fast food chain.
For more on Theno's career and impact on the meat industry, click here.