Meijer chefs roll out new meal, entertaining options with fresh protein salads
As the weather warms and outdoor celebrations start to take shape, Meijer announced today that it is adding five new fresh, protein-based salads to its Deli case in all stores across its six-state footprint. Taking into account recent flavor trends, the Meijer test kitchen chefs created the protein-based salads to make summertime meal prep and entertaining a breeze.
- Nashville Hot Chicken Salad – This “hot” mix originated in Nashville, Tenn. and has taken the country by storm as the latest spicy craze. Nashville Hot is a combination of rich buttermilk, dried chilies and spices. “Nashville Hot” is typically sold in fried chicken form and served with a pickle. Our chefs took the unique flavors and created a unique salad that includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, spicy dried chili, sweet pickle relish, and tangy buttermilk. Enjoy it as a high-protein side, or use it as an ingredient for sandwiches, wraps, pitas and garden salads. This salad can be enjoyed cold or warmed up.
- Korean BBQ Chicken Salad – Korean BBQ is an “Asian” style sweet and mildly-spicy sauce. The sweet and spicy sauce is comprised of ethnic flavors like fermented chilies, honey, ginger, soy and toasted sesame oil, which collectively give it a unique flavor. Drawing on this inspiration, this salad includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, authentic Asian BBQ flavors, red bell pepper, sweet mango, green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoyed either cold or warmed up, the Korean BBQ Chicken Salad can be served as a side or main dish, or can top off any sandwich, salad or be used to make Asian tacos.
- Lemon Dill Tuna Salad – As an alternative to chicken, this non-mayo based salad uses fresh Albacore Tuna combined with fresh herbs and a light lemon vinaigrette. This salad can be enjoyed as a side or as a main dish, if you’re looking for a lighter option on nights you don’t feel like cooking.
Meijer is also rolling out two new vegetarian salads that work as a great “Meatless Monday” dinner option:
- Brussel Sprout and Broccoli Slaw Salad – Forgoing the mayonnaise base of slaws, this crispy slaw includes fresh-shaved Brussel sprouts and broccoli, sweet apple chunks, shaved parmesan cheese, crunchy walnuts and “sweet and smoky” vinaigrette. Together, the unique flavors and textures of these ingredients combine to create food harmony. Use this slaw to add freshness by topping flatbreads. Add it to your favorite garden salads to add crunch and flavor. Or use it as a main ingredient in sandwiches, wraps or pitas, to make it a meal.
- Asian Slaw – This new, kale-based slaw is a colorful mix of sweet, red bell peppers, crunchy almonds, cilantro and sweet onion vinaigrette. This crunchy slaw makes a great “green” side option. It’s also a great salad mix to top flatbreads, top off tacos or to dress up sandwiches, wraps and pitas.