FSIS issues public health alert for beef products due to possible E. coli O157:H7 contamination
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for raw non-intact beef products derived from imported beef from Ontario, Canada that has been recalled by Ryding-Regency Meat Packers, Ltd. because it may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is conducting a food safety investigation and determined that certain products produced by the company may be contaminated. While Canada is the recalling authority, FSIS is amplifying the recall through this public health alert.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency notified FSIS that several shipments of beef implicated in a series of recalls have been exported to the U.S. FSIS has identified that imported beef manufacturing trimmings produced on May 27 and 30, 2019 that are subject to recall were used in the U.S. to produce other raw non-intact beef products distributed for retail sale. The U.S. companies that produced these raw non-intact beef products have received notice of the recall from Ryding-Regency and FSIS has confirmed that they are following the instructions provided to recall affected product from their customers. However, retail consumers may not have received such notification.
The following products have been identified as part of the Canadian recall and were distributed to institutions and retailers in Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont:
- 10-lb. cardboard box packages containing bulk plastic wrapped raw frozen ground beef gyros labeled “DEVANCO FOODS CHICAGO’S FAVORITE” GYROS SLICES (STRIPS) with a case code 159 19.
- 10-lb. cardboard box packages containing bulk plastic wrapped raw frozen ground beef gyros labeled “KRONOS HALAL GYROS STRIPS” HALAL CERTIFIED BEEF GYROS UNCOOKED, IQF STRIPS with a case code 19 159.
- Retail sized (8 patties) cardboard box packages containing “ZIYAD PREMIUM QUALITY Beef Hamburger Patties” with a case code 911541.021541.
- Retail sized (8 kabobs) cardboard box packages containing “ZIYAD PREMIUM QUALITY Uncooked Kufta Kabob” with a case code 911154.021154.
- 8-lb. cardboard box packages containing bulk plastic wrapped raw frozen ground beef patties labeled “Shop Right 100% PURE QUARTER POUND Ground Beef Hamburgers” and a sell by date of 060720.
- 3-lb. cardboard box packages containing plastic wrapped raw frozen ground beef patties labeled “Shop Right 100% PURE Ground Beef Hamburgers” and a sell by date of 060720.
- 2-lb. cardboard box packages containing plastic wrapped raw frozen ground beef patties labeled “LANDIS BRAND 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES 8 Quarter Pound Patties” and a sell by date of 060720.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in institutional or consumers’ freezers. Institutions that have these products are urged not to serve them and consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.