Butterball challenges employees, children to raise awareness about food safety
“Butterball is a proud leader in food quality and safety and continually strives to strengthen its food safety programs to ensure its products are 100 percent safe for consumers,” said Anita Colglazier, director of quality further processing at Butterball. “Food safety month provided the opportunity for Butterball to promote the positive practices we implement everyday and encourage our employees to showcase their home food safety precautions as well.”
The facility hosted a coloring contest for the children of facility employees. While at work, associates participated in a hand-washing challenge using “magic glowing bug lotion” and a black light enabling employees to see firsthand the areas that need extra scrubbing. Additionally, the facility posted food safety facts throughout the building to provide healthy tips for employees.
“One of the easiest and fastest ways to prevent food-borne illness is by practicing proper hand-washing techniques several times each day,” said Colglazier. “Whether at home or at work, it is important for our associates to adhere to the most effective food safety processes.”
Butterball recommends the following proper hand-washing techniques to help prevent illness.
1. Wet hands with warm, running water.
2. Add soap and rub hands together to make a soapy lather. Do this away from running water to avoid washing the bubbles away.
3. Wash the front and back of hands, between fingers and your nails. While doing this either count slowly to 20, sing Happy Birthday, or say the ABC’s. This will take about 20 seconds.
4. Rinse hands well under warm running water. Let the water run back into the sink, not down elbows.
5. Dry hands thoroughly with a clean paper towel.
Source: Butterball LLC