White Castle celebrates 90th anniversary, National Burger Month
"This National Hamburger Month celebration is extra special because it is also our 90th birthday year," said Jamie Richardson, vice president of corporate relations. "Starting National Hamburger Month is just one of many firsts White Castle has initiated over the past 90 years."
This year, White Castle will kick off the celebrations with an Ingram family pilgrimage back to where it all started in Wichita, Kan. On May 19, White Castle will partner with Dillons grocery stores to bring the hot, fresh, steam-grilled-on-a-bed-of-onions Original Sliders to the Wichita community and pay tribute to the first restaurant location.
Other White Castle National Hamburger Month festivities will include:
- Special online and in store promotions
- New menu items
- Ninety White Castle home office team members will work one day in a restaurant
- The kick-off of the call for entries for the 2011 Cravers Hall of Fame
- Local members of Congress getting behind the White Castle counters to serve constituents in their districts
- A 90th birthday bash at White Castle home offices in Columbus, Ohio.
The first fast-food chain started National Hamburger Month to honor the hamburger in 1992, and expanded the celebration of burger bliss to an entire month just one year later.
Source: White Castle