Photo by PMMI
Fast-changing consumer preferences require a rapid response from manufacturers, driving demands for processing and packaging technologies that yield greater flexibility, sustainability and efficiency. This fall, the destination for solutions is PACK EXPO Las Vegas (Las Vegas Convention Center; Sept. 28-30, 2015), owned and organized by PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies.
With more than 800,000 net square feet of innovation and quality educational opportunities, PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2015 includes the first-ever Las Vegas co-location of Pharma EXPO, which PMMI produces in partnership with the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE). As a result, the event offers many opportunities to cross-pollinate ideas across industries.
Take a look at some of the innovations launching at the show:
- Inline Fat Measurement Machine Cuts Downtime by 25 Percent: Eagle Product Inspection (Booth #C-3803) will launch the Eagle™ FA3/M, featuring the latest generation of its Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA), at PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2015. The latest DEXA technology provides inline fat measurement and contaminant detection while discerning between fat and lean portions for 100 percent of meat product throughput. With easy recalibration capabilities, the DEXA reduces changeover time up to 25 percent compared to standard fat analysis technologies with only manual reconfiguration capabilities.
- High-Definition Inspection System Reduces Total Cost of Ownership: Anritsu (Booth # N-524) will introduce the XR75 Inspection System at PACK EXPO Las Vegas. This new system offers heightened sensitivity at lower energy levels for extended life cycles. The XR75 Inspection System reduces total true cost of ownership, pinpoints product shape defects and checks for product integrity.
- 15 Degree Roller Belt Allows for Smoother Transfers: Habasit America’s (Booth S-7433) new M5482 roller top belt for 90-degree transfers enables smoother transitions along the packaging line and, because of its unique-15 degree rotation design, reduces damage to packages. The M5482 belt’s closed edges and patent smart-fit rod retention system provide an advantage over the competition. The ability to perform 90-degree transfers allows product flow to occur without using radius conveyors, saving valuable square footage on factory floors. The belt allows for an inch from the edge to the centerline to the first roller and two inches of lateral spacing.
- Reducing Costs in Moving Food Products to Higher Elevations: The Dynamic Conveyer (Booth S-6212) DynaClean Vertical Z Conveyer is a cost-efficient solution for food processing facilities that need to move food products to higher elevations. The patented conveyer system is easier to clean and sanitize than traditional bucket elevators, resulting in lower cost of ownership and reduced downtime. The Vertical Z system is customizable to desired heights and includes widths up to 24 inches and a variety of belt styles.
- Improved Package Coating Enhances Surface Texture: The Filmquest Group (Booth S-8244) will introduce its CP-267 Series Ultra Low Gloss Soft Velvet Touch Matte coating for various packaging applications. The proprietary coating is typically applied to polyester, polypropylene, nylon films and other substrates. The gloss’ improved qualities include a unique soft velvet-touch surface texture, backside printability, high coefficient of friction (COF) and consistent ultra-low gloss and opacity levels.
PACK EXPO Las Vegas also includes several show-floor features, including these:
- The Brand Zone (Lower South Hall) will feature solutions to help manufacturers make strong, differentiating statements with their packaging. This pavilion will showcase the latest material and container innovations in a wide range of substrates, state-of-the-art labeling and decorating technologies, and re-sealing closures. The Brand Zone is also home to the Annual Showcase of Packaging Innovations, sponsored by Dow Chemical Company, which features an inspiring array of award-winning designs.
- The Processing Zone (Upper South Hall) will highlight front-of-line processing solutions for manufacturers in sectors including the baking and snack, beverage, meat and poultry, dairy and confectionery industries. With more than 190 exhibitors showcasing processing solutions, it’s the perfect starting place to find technologies for increasing efficiency, achieving total system integration and ensuring safety.
- The Reusable Packaging Pavilion (Lower South Hall), sponsored by the Reusable Packaging Association (RPA), presents over 30 exhibitors who can help you reduce waste, cut costs, and gain chain efficiency. If you’re considering how reusable packaging can help your bottom line, start here.
In addition to its aisle of technologies, PACK EXPO Las Vegas give you access to a wide range of education on the show floor at no charge. The Innovation Stage (Booth # C-1041) presents 30-minute seminars throughout the day, with focus on breakthrough technologies and techniques with applications in a wide variety of industries. The Food Safety Summit Resource Center (Booth # S-7632), presented by the Food Safety Summit, will offer talks by subject matter experts on best practices and recent advances in areas such as HACCP, food fraud, federal and state regulations, environmental monitoring, allergens and compliance with Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
At the Center for Trends & Technology (Booth # C-4829), brought to you by Rockwell Automation and its Partner Network™, attendees can learn about the absolute latest advances that can improve production in exciting ways. The center will cover topics such as connected enterprise working environment, network connectivity, security, remote access, safety, serialization and line integration.
To register for PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2015, visit packexpolasvegas.com.