LINCOLN, Neb. – Officials in Lincoln, Neb. have said that a malfunctioning air compressor caused a fired at a meat processing plant that sent one person to the hospital.

Cook's Ham plant manager Tom Messick reportedly said Wednesday that investigators are still trying to determine why the compressor malfunctioned early Wednesday morning.

Lincoln Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Sellon said the fire may have caused more than $500,000 damage.

Sellon reportedly said he could not verify Wednesday afternoon whether there had been an explosion at the plant.

Messick said the Cook’s, which is owned by Smithfield Foods Inc., hopes to reopen the plant Thursday.


Source: Associated Press