Exposure to chlorine gas at a Tyson Foods Inc. chicken processing plant in Springdale, Ark., resulted in the evacuation of about 300 workers, 173 of whom were treated as hospitals. Five workers were in intensive care, and about 50 others remained hospitalized, the company said in a statement on Tuesday.

The accident resulted from the unintentional mixing of two chemicals, reports the Associated Press. Human error played a role in the accidental mixing of two chemicals that created the gas as a byproduct of a chemical reaction, said Donnie King, Tyson Foods' senior group vice president of poultry and prepared foods. The company declined to say which two chemicals were mixed, but company spokesman Gary Mickelson said the plant does not use chlorine gas. Mickelson said the company is investigating the accident and won't discuss its findings until the investigation concludes.


Source: AP