Twn employees who were exposed to chlorine gas at a Tyson Foods chicken processing plant in Springdale, Ark., remained hospitalized as of Wednesday evening. More than 300 people were evacuated from the plant and 172 were taken to hospitals for evaluations after the exposure, which occurred after an accidental mixture of sodium hypochlorite and an acid-based disinfectant.

The portion of the plant that was affected was used to slaughter chickens, reports Reuters. An Occupational Safety & Health Administration spokesman said the agency has opened an investigation.

Tyson said that it has set up a temporary medical clinic at the plant this week to conduct follow-up evaluations with affected employees. Additional human resources staff and chaplains have also been brought in.

"Our team members are the most important part of our business, so we're doing everything possible to help them through this difficult time," Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson said.

Source: Reuters