A plane passenger's family have sued American Airlines after he died following an in-flight meal.

Othon Cortes died after eating a contaminated chicken meal during an American Airlines flight from Barcelona to New York, according to his relatives.

The lawsuit is the latest unwelcome news to hit the stricken airline, which announced earlier this week it had filed for bankruptcy.

The widow and daughter of Mr Cortes, 73, have filed a lawsuit against the carrier following his death shortly after the May 18 flight.

In their complaint, his widow Raquel and daughter Sandra allege Mr Cortes was served food contaminated with the deadly bacteria, Clostridium perfingens.

Read more at the Daily Mail Online.

Source: Daily Mail Online