TheNew York Timesran a expose over the weekend about an E. coli-tainted hamburger that left dance instructor Stephanie Smith paralyzed from the waist down. The ground beef was found to have come from a Cargill plant, and the article describes the food safety regulations that are in place and that many plants are not following their own safety plans.

To read the article in its entirety, go to:

Source: New York Times

Federal Beef Processors reaches settlement with insurance companies for 2002 fire

Federal Beef Processors has reached an agreement with insurance companies that it sued after a January, 2002, fire that destroyed its Rapid City, S.D., packing plant. The complaint, filed in 2004, sought more than $20 million in claims for the building, machinery and other costs, reports the Associated press. Defendants included Mt. Hawley, Zurich American, Evanston, Admiral and Lexington insurance companies, as well as Royal Indemnity Co. and GAB Robins North America.
The fire that destroyed the plant also put more than 400 people out of work. The cause was never determined, and the site was sold to developers.

Source: Associated Press

Stink over rotting meat ongoing

Forty-four tons of meat left to rot in a closed packer plant in Bridgewater, S.D., have been cleaned out and moved to a landfill, but the issue of paying for the cleanup still remains.

The problem started when Bridgewater Quality Meats was closed by owner Ilan Parente in January, 2008, who moved the business to Dawson, Minn., as Noah's Ark Processors, according to AP reports. The boxed kosher bison meat was left behind, apparently left to be sold to a pet food company. The power was cut off at the building that December, and the meat rotted as the weather warmed, eventually causing the smell of rotting meat to overpower the town.

Parente, who denied the meat was ever a health hazard, sent two employees to clean up the plant, but they left after two days. The town then sent in 18 workers to finish the job, leaving Parente with a $11,151 cleanup bill, on top of $14,085 in unpaid property taxes. The city is working to recover that money, but the AP reports that Parente's number has been disconnected, his attorney did not comment on the story, and the business in Minnesota stated that he is no longer affiliated with the business.

Source: Associated Press