Fighting Food Waste
- Approximately 40% of food is not consumed.1
- Annual amount of food waste: 36 million tons
- That's worth $162 billion.1
- Wasted food is the single biggest occupant in American landfills.2
The Typical American Family Throws Away3...
- 40% of fresh meat, fish and poultry purchased
- 51% of dairy and fruit purchased
- 44% of fresh vegetables purchased
- 2/3 of food waste is due to food spoilage
- 1/3 of food waste is from cooking or serving too much.
Flexible Packaging Extends Shelf Life4
- Green Beans: 7 Days vs. 19 Days.
- Grapes: 7 Days vs. 70 Days
- Broccoli: 6 Days vs. 20 Days
- Steak: 3 Days vs. 20 Days
- Cheese: 190 Days vs. 280 Days
As shelf life increases, food waste decreases.
For more information about how flexible packaging helps fight food waste, visit www.flexpack.org
- FPA Value of Flexible Packaging in Extending Shelf Life and Reducing Food Waste Report